Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

FinePix M603 - showing Zoom/Focus Error at switch on

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Is the lens stuck extended?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes! Had not even noticed this.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Look directly at the lens is it leaning slightly more to one side instead of being completely centered?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looking at the lens - the right side is fractionally closer to the edge of the outer rectangle, than the left (which has more grey showing).

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That could mean you need a new part then, just in case lets check anyway.
While holding the power button gently push the lens to the side.

Test this with each of the 4 sides, if it is off center to one side doing this should get it to retract while holding the power button.
If you hear a click while doing it do not worry that is normal.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can only get lens to retract (get front to back movement), but no side to side movement. Lens covers still not returning into place.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It will only move to the side while you are pushing on it, it may click that is normal. If it still will not center and extend/retract properly it would be a very bad sign. In which case I would need to know how old it is.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could be 10 - 15 years old. Just noted you are in USA? Could camera be repaired and if so would it be worth it? And could you recommend a UK repairer?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I am in the USA yes the reason I asked for the age was actually because of this. If it was around 5 years old you may have still had an extended warranty. But older than that and you would not. In order to fix this the lens assembly would need to be replaced.

The part is no longer sold so you would need to get the same model with a different issue to replace it. This would normally cost around £75 but for around the same price you can replace it so it is not usually worth the repair. Most shops also are no longer willing to do this repair for the same reason.If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your FinePix.
.