Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a Canon EOS550D with two detachable lenses. When I try

I have a Canon EOS550D with two detachable lenses. When I try to take a picture with either lens, it comes up with "Err01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contact." I have done this many times, but still the same result.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How old is the camera? Have you tried cleaning it yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 4 years old. As I said, I have cleaned with a soft cloth in and around appertures to camera and lens. What else should be cleaned?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I apologize your already tried section did not come through until after I had replied to you (this is caused by a bug on this site). The points you would need to clean are the contacts on the lens and body. It sounds like you have already done that, do you happen to have an extended warranty on the camera body?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Afraid not

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, do you happen to have another body you can test the lenses on?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but not sure if it works Trying now ....

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok please let me know if the camera works if the lenses work properly on it or not.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, my mistake. It is an old Minolta camera, so lens doesn't fit

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
OK well assuming at least one lens is working properly that would mean the connection on the camera itself has failed. In order to fix this the board with that connection needs to be replace inside the body. Any local electronics shop should be able to do this for you. The price of the board is usually around £24 to £40 the labour would be about £60 for an hour. Due to the price some people do tend to buy the same model body only on eBay and use their old one for parts if anything else goes wrong. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.