RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I am looking for a scanner to digitalise slides ,negatives

Customer Question

I am looking for a scanner to digitalise slides ,negatives in 35mm also old 120 roll film negatives. I think the Canon9000F does this but I hav'nt seen one yet to see how it does this and trying to get information from the big electrical stores is........impossible. So help please in steering me to the one to go for.My specific questions are as follows:
1)with a flatbed unit how do you locate the slides and negatives acurately?
2)I have skimmed the internet to find information and it seems best to have a self cleaningsystem to get rid of dust .Is this essential or an added extra?
3)The dpi number quoted as 4800 etc relates to the sharpness of the reproduction from the slide/negative introduced but some I have seen go higher than this.All I want to do is to produce a postcard size print or thereabouts ,so what dpi figure should I be looking for?
I use Canon cameras so am inclined towards a name I can trust
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

All of the information that you are looking for is available at the link below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9000f#ServiceAndSupport

When the page opens click on Service & Support
Type the word "Slides" into the search box
Click search

The second selection in the list describes the Slide Scanning procedure with a lin to scanning at resolutions higher than 4800 x 4800

The fourth selection gives you the list of scanning accessories that come with the unit including:

• Film Guides (x3)

• 35mm Film Mounted Slides

• 35mm Film Strip

• 120 Film Strip (Medium Format)

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.