Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a canon xf100 and have downloaded 3 clips via the Compact

I have a canon xf100 and have downloaded 3 clips via the Compact Flash Card onto the Canon xf utility I downloaded onto my laptop. However I cannot access the 3 clips as MPEG2 files for me to use. Can you help? Thanks
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What model computer are you using? What version of windows or mac is on your computer? Are the MPEG2 files currently on the computer or are they still on the card?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a hp probook 4520s and Windows 7 professional. The clips were downloaded via the CF card via a card reader into the Canon xf utility software. I can view these files on my computer but they have file extensions of .cif .thm .mxf and .sif so none of them are MPEG2 files that I can access and use

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Are they still on the card? If they are put it back into the computer click on start, then click on computer in that menu. Here you should see your card along with the C drive etc. Click on your card to open it, what do you see inside?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A single contents folder then a CLIPS001 folder then 3 folders: AA0033, ...34, and ....35, and an Index.MIF file. Each of these folders splits into 5 files with the following file extensions: .cif .thm .xmf and .sif. The .mxf file has nearly all the data in it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It is not creating MPEG2 files at all then.That means you will need to use the XF utility. Have you used that to export as MXF yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I right click on the clips and select properties they show the clip's video standard is 'MPEG2'

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is the Codec being used but it is not the container. You are currently using the .mxf container. What happens when you try to play it, do you get an error?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can play the clips through the canon xf utility software but when I click on it when accessing the cf directly I get message 'Windows cant open the file'

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok please download and install the mega codec pack from here: Click Here It should be in the middle of the page in between 2 ads. Once installed right click on one of those .mxf files and click open with. Then choose media player classic or mpc in the list. See if it will open when you do.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still installing the software; will keep you posted

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take your time. That software will instal every Codec you could ever possibly need for video files.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does play the mxf file but when I try and save it as an mpeg2 file it does not allow me to. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It actually already is a MPEG2 as I mentioned before that is the Codec. It sounds like you want to change the container from .MXF to something like .mp4 is that what you are trying to do?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that makes sense now. You would need to convert it then. You can use the program any video converter for that. During the installation make sure to choose custom and uncheck the AVG options you will not want that. You can get it here: Click Here

Once installed and opened click on add video files on the left. Then choose your .MXF files. It should default to .mp4 already. Once they are all listed click on convert now on the right hand side. It should save the videos to the videos folder in the start menu. If you do not see one clcik start then click on your name/username and it will be there. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience: Years of experience.