Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a canon sx160 is and I am having problem taking pictures,

I have a canon sx160 is and I am having problem taking pictures, I am trying to go back to factory settings as pictures as not the right size and when i download them to the computer, they are coming across as videos and i cant open the pictures
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That problem sounds very unusual. Perhaps you are somehow in Video mode without knowing it, and just taking brief videos of about 1 second in length.

A factory reset of your Canon camera is done as follows:

- Access the camera's MENU.

- Go to the Settings menu (the tab with a 'tools' logo.)

- scroll down in the choices of settings categories to the bottom, where there is a Reset All choice. Select that. Confirm the selection (choose OK.)

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have completed the reset task.

I have a black strip at the top of the viewing screen where numbers are counting, and there is a red dot with Rec beside it?

That means 'Recording Video'. The red dot is distinctive of video not still photos; the numbers counting means time/length of video currently recorded.

Can't you switch the camera into Auto mode (still pictures, automatically adjusting exposure and focus) ? it is definitely in Video recording mode.
To do that, set the Mode dial, to AUTO.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean the green auto on the wheel on top of the camera with other selection being m,av,tv, p live, scn etc? This wheel is set to auto?

Yes, that is the wheel. Yes, when it is set to AUTO it should be shooting pictures, or video, with automatic adjusted exposure and focus etc.

So if it is still shooting video, it may be in video mode.

Having consulted the documentation about this point, I think that you are pressing the movie button (-the button with a 'hole' in the center', to the immediate right of the grid of nine holes-), instead of pressing the shutter button.

Unusually enough, this camera does not have a separation of video mode and still-picture shooting modes, but has two different buttons for those two different basic camera functions instead.

Please rate my Answer - favorably I would hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your case. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your assistance

Please rate my Answer - favorably, if I helped you with the problem - so that I may be paid for the work I did on your problem. Without a favorable rating, I will not be paid anything.