RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

can you help with a Canon 5D Mk11 camera. I recently dropped

Customer Question

can you help with a Canon 5D Mk11 camera. I recently dropped it and its now showing an err 30 ? Thanks Rich
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, Error 30 indicates a problem with the mechanical shutter assembly. The procedure below may reposition the shutter mechanism and restore functionality. If not, the camera will require professional service from Canon. You can find a service vendor near you at the Canon link below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_II.aspx

Try a "hard reset". Remove the lens, memory card, main battery and the "date battery" using the instructions below. Switch the camera ON an allow it to sit idle for 30 minutes. switch the camera OFF, reinstall the two batteries and the memory card, and set the time and date. Check the display, put the camera in M (manual) and fire the shutter. If it operates correctly (shutter fires), remount the lens and try the camera in auto mode and let me know the result.

The date battery holder is at the bottom right of the camera. open the cover that covers the usb connection. At the bottom there is another cover that requires a small screwdriver to remove. That is where you will find the Date battery.

graphic
View Full Image

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russ, Really appreciate your reply.. I certainly believe your assesment is correct.. but because it has been dropped I think the damage will require an expert to fix it.. Is it best to send it to a canon repair service.?

Rich

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Since this is a physical issue with the mechanism, yes, Canon service is the best option for a camera of this level. Even if a reset restores basic operation, there is no way to determine how long a simple user fix of type will last and if an internal component has been damaged, a part replacement will be necessary.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.