Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

Hi I am looking for the item part CYI-2556-000 ( Manual Focusing

Customer Question

Hi I am looking for the item part CYI-2556-000 ( Manual Focusing Brush contact set for my canon lens EF 300 f 2.8 L USM lens and wondered if you had any advice on where I could obtain this part?
Best regards
***** *****
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

I can not find a Canon part with the number you provided. I believe the part you are looking for is the focus encoder brush, part # ***** Is that correct?

The unfortunate fact is, Canon no longer supplies parts for this lens and this particular part is not available from any source. I've broken a couple these brushes myself and have had to repair them by soldering new fingers onto them. Suprisingly enough, this works and can save a nice lens from the scrap heap.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rik
Yes that is the part and it is missing from the lens I might be able to recover it from the person who took it out. Otherwise I am stuck. Can you obtain from any other soure
Nick
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
I've checked with my sources for obsolete parts and there are none to be found. If you can get the original part, it is possible to rebuild it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for helping me I appreciate the assistance
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem. If you lived Stateside, I could probably be of more help but at this point, your best bet would be to contact one of the more local shops and see if they can make one up for you. There is one company I know of in the UK that may be able to help you :

http://gres.co.uk/gres.htm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the assistance, I have spoken to Graham and he is going to see what he can do for me, really appreciate the assistance with this.
Best regards,
Nick
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.