Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have purchased a Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS lense. The results

I have purchased a Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS lense. The results I am getting with this have generally poor image quality and are not as sharp as my EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS lense. Could this be a problem with the auto-focus. Manual focus has slightly better results.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If auto-focus is not as good looking in results, as manual focus, then you obviously have a problem either with the lens optics/mechanism/electronics, or else with the camera body.

The problem, however, isn't with the camera body, if the other lens or lenses used with that camera body don't have an autofocus problem at all.

So in conclusion: you may have bought a slightly defective lens (the new EF-S 17-55 mm lens that is) and should return it promptly for another one that is equivalent or better.