Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Lumix DMC-FT2 - been brilliant until last month when using

Lumix DMC-FT2 - been brilliant until last month when using video (on auto) the shots have gone out of focus on zoom. Am I doing something wrong or does the camera need a repair?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try removing the lens assembly (if it is removable) and clean the contacts on the lens mount (and the corresponding contacts on the lens assembly) by wiping gently with a soft clean dry lint-free rag cloth.

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell - tried all your advice options except removing the lens assembly (not possible as far as I can tell). Have cleaned the terminals, have left the battery out for periods have bought new batteries and a new memory chip without success.

The camera was bought new in December 2010.

The camera hasn't been dropped (anyway it's the one that is supposed to be drop proof) it's never got wet ((it's the waterproof version anyway) and not been used in freezing nor really hot/humid temperatures. Nor has it been used in gritty/sandy environment (supposed to be OK for that environment as well)

So what's your recommendation please.

The camera is out of warranty, simply owing to age, for sure.

It's good to know that you have taken good care of the camera, despite its rated tolerances.

The camera does indeed need a repair-servicing, given that it has not got a detachable lens assembly. (Not customer-detachable, anyway, as a higher-end digital SLR camera's would be.)

To send out for repair:

go to
http://panasonic.eu/ServiceCenter/en_GB/index_uk.html
select
Visual
then select
Digital Still Cameras
then enter your postcode or town (or both) and click one of the buttons, either
Locate
or
Select. (I have a memory that one of these functions does not work, though it should, in this form. So don't be surprised if it's difficult at first, or requires both town and postcode, or some difficulty like that...) ...and it will give you contact information for a service center near your location in the UK.

or - if it accepts UK customers - send to:
http://www.precisioncamera.com/panasonic-camera-repair.html

If this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.