Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a EOS 400D when i try to take a photo and the flash

Customer Question

I have a EOS 400D when i try to take a photo and the flash is required I get an error message Err05 which says the built in flashes auto pop up was obstructed turn off and turn back on again there is no change I just keep getting the message. can you help
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The question about your problem is, does the flash actually pop up?

It cannot pop up if an external flash is in place. The presence of the external flash is sensed, inhibiting the popping up.

Looking at the camera from the back, find the left of the two slots that hold the external flash. There is a strip of metal in it, that covers a very small switch near the front edge. That switch detects the presence of an externally mounted flash that is present.
If that metal strip sticks in the downward position (hard to describe), then the built-in flash will not pop up.
If this is the case, carefully using a small flat-bladed screwdriver to gently lift the strip in the left slot a bit, will cure the problem.