Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

Can Canon FD lenses be adapted to SD for use on a new digital

Customer Question

Can Canon FD lenses be adapted to SD for use on a new digital Canon SLR camera body?
If so will I loose any functions, and what bodies would be suitable?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

Although there are adapters for FD lens to EOS camera body, they are truely incompatable. The older FD lenses were completely mechanical and the EOS, (Electronic Operating System), is electronic by design. If you use an adapter on the FD lens you loose all control functions. No AF, No metering, no auto or program control and no TTL falsh. You are really much better off using a lens designed for your camera. Canon, as well as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all have very good lenses with some in a more affordable range.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You omitted to say anything about the use of FD lenses with MILC cameras. Replacing the range of lenses I have would cost thousands.

Auto focus is not needed.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Can you please clarify what you mean by MILC cameras?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
You can use FD lenses with EOS and similar electronic cameras with the use of adapters. It's not recomended, you'll loose all electronic controls. I think the reasoning behind this is for you, the customer, needing to re-invest in a new lens system to go with your new camera.