Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I am trying to download photos from my Canon SX 700HS to my

I am trying to download photos from my Canon SX 700HS to my computer (Windows 8) via Wi Fi but it seems unable to connect to the computer. It finds the hub but then gets stuck Searching for device. The camera is quite new but I have previously downloaded photos successfully.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, try swapping cables. (Make sure the cable is less than 6 feet long - a length, or a cable longer than which, can cause problems.)

Second, try a new USB port.

Third, try unplugging every other USB device that is on any USB port of your computer... except the keyboard and mouse, if they are USB devices, of course.

If that does not get the 'device' (the camera) findable by the computer, then
A. shut Off your camera, and remove the battery.
B. shut down your computer. Leave it Off for 10 minutes or so (the exact time is not critical, but it should be something like that or longer.) Turn it On again, boot it up.
C. put the battery back in the camera.
D. re-connect the camera with a cable, to the computer.

Let me know the result(s), please. (If the result is favorable, a favorable rating for this Answer would be more than sufficient as a notification.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Russell,

I am not using a cable to download the data I am trying to use Wi Fi. I have gone through all the instructions in the User's Manual & initially (a couple of weeks ago) the procedure worked fine. But now I come to download new photos I get this connection problem. I suspect the problem may be related to Windows updates since I last downloaded photos but I have no idea where to look.

I have an idea:

If you are using a wireless connection to the camera, to transfer photos from it to your computer, then that wireless connection is limited by a 'firewall' program on your computer.

The standard procedure for testing whether a firewall is limiting communication in some respect, of your computer, should be tried:

1. disconnect your computer from the internet. (If necessary, unplug your local router.)
2. go to your firewall software, and temporarily Disable the Internet protections, or the network firewall. This should be temporary, and should be for no longer than 10 minutes, really. Ideally, you should re-Enable the firewall security immediately after doing the following test:
3. connect your device, via the wireless connection.
4. does it work?
5. whether it does or not, information has been gained about the problem. So re-Enable your firewall now.
6. and connect to internet whenever you want to at this point. (If your router was unplugged, plug it in again, and wait 2 minutes before connecting or trying to connect.)

- If the device worked when the firewall was disabled, you need to alter settings in your firewall.
- If the device did not work, something else is wrong, and it isn't the firewall to all appearances.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Russell,

I have tried turning off the Firewall & this makes no difference

I am sorry to hear that.

Eliminate all sources of local interference (in the nature of radio noise or electrical noise, esp. from motors, even small ones.) Turn Off all local devices... including compact fluorescent lights, which can occasionally radiate in the radio spectrum, I suspect (though I'm not 100 % sure.)

Then also restart your computer.

Then try connecting again. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got it - thanks. I think restarting the computer was the secret

Great! I'm glad to hear that it is working now.

Please rate my Answer - using the smiley-faces interface below my Answer.
That way I will be paid for the work I have done on your question.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck for the future!