Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

new powershot G16 worked ok last week today the LCD display

Customer Question

new powershot G16 worked ok last week today the LCD display panel is black to no images can be seen - if you play back you can see the photos - the dial is set to AUTO and that was all ok last week but today nope no images just the battery life and others camera related messages if i can dial to some of the othere setting the movie one then you can see an image but nothing when you go to take a photo on auto which is the basic setting ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me: Do you still see images of photos already taken, when you Review photos?

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

camera brought for christmas so a couple weeks old - its been kept - were in the UK so were good on the cold….. it's not got wet or been to the seaside just yet…. when you to playback i can see the images have taken 71 photos so not masses… i'm gutted do you think that the possibly that it should go back to supplier as would be under guarantee if your suggestion does not work…..

(Test - unable to post a reply to your question. Two replies already lost in the system.)

That post appears to have posted successfully. Now to retype your Answer:

Image sensor failure is serious. It usually only happens after years of use, and some exposure to extreme temperatures or exposure to damp.

By all means, return your camera to the vendor or store, for an exchange free-of-charge for an equivalent working new camera.

Good luck. (I must mention to check that you need to check that the lens cover is not still on. It's just something to mention, once.)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the camera has been a in case and no lens cover it has the retractable lens and the automatic shutters - i'll see how it is in the morning

OK.