Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon 7D which until 3 months ago worked in

Customer Question

I have a Canon 7D which until 3 months ago worked in all programmes fully. Now in P Mode, and when using flash in particular, the maximum focal length it will shoot is 5.6 which obviously means when I am shooting groups of people quite often some are out of focus. (Not good for the weddings and family portraits I do!) This is the only programme affected. I have gone through the instruction manual for both camera and flash and have taken it into a camera shop to get them to check that I hadn't inadvertently turned on a setting that I was unaware of us. Between us we cannot see anything immediately apparent.
Any clues/ideas/advice you can offer would be welcome.
Carol
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I advise doing a factory reset on the camera - resetting everything back to initial defaults. You will lose whatever white balance and other custom adjustments you made, but whatever *may* have gone wrong with the P mode's focal length would be reset. (If you need instructions on how to do so, please let me know and I will instruct you.)

Another possible cause is, the batteries in the camera.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

(Since you say the problem is particularly showing up when using the flash, it might indicate that the batteries are getting old and delivering less power - the flash's use, obviously, is a high-power-drain mode of the camera.)

- Also, some general questions:

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks.

Good point about batteries-maybe is a time to get some new ones!

A reminder as to how to do a factory reset would be useful please as can't immediately see how to.

Carol

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Here's how to reset to factory settings:

Under this tab of the menu system, either the 'wrench-and-three-ticks' tab or else the 'wrench-2' tab:

graphic

... whichever tab has the 'Clear all camera settings' option, select that option.

Turn the dial to select 'OK' then press SET.

That will reset the menu and shooting settings.

Let me know how it goes... and if this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tab only has options for Battery Info and Info button display options. No option for camera reset as all other tabs?!!
Carol
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Get into the tabs with wrenches on them, atop the top of your screen. Probably by pressing MENU.

Use the left-right arrow control to change tabs and find out either the
wrench 2
tab or else the
wrench and three ticks
tab. As shown in the image I posted in my Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just realised I didn't have all tabs showing as was in automatic mode. Have changed to P mode and now have. That's why couldn't find it.
Have now done it and made no difference. I'll buy a new battery and see if that makes a does.
Carol
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Good so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From memory and without my records to hand about 2.5 years and no to all other questions.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. It has been well-cared for, so it is less likely to be a hardware fault (and those are likely to happen with abuse or neglect of a camera.)

It is obviously out of warranty coverage, so repairs (if any prove to be needed) will not be covered by warranty.

Let me know how well-charged (6+ hours the first charging!) new batteries work, at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Will do and many thanks.

Carol

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK.