Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Canon EOS 40D. The large LCD display panel on the

Customer Question

I have a Canon EOS 40D. The large LCD display panel on the back of the camera does not display the scene to be photographed when the shutter is pressed half way down. This has suddenly happened today. What is wrong?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What is displayed when you take a photo? Is the screen functioning correctly apart from this?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I take a photo, the image is displayed for a couple of seconds as usual and is stored on the card correctly. The camera is functioning correctly apart from the lack of display when I press the shutter half way down.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Chris.
Is anything being displayed though on the screen when you take a photo?
Sorry I was not clear on that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, not as the photo is being taken.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but apart from this, like menu items or anything at all?
Or the screen is constantly black?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing. The rear display screen is constantly black - until after the photo is taken when it is displayed for a couple of seconds as it is being stored on the card.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue
The LCD screen is shorting out Chris, this is why it behaves like this. It is soon not going to function at all. The issue will be the controller that powers the screen. If the camera is under warranty, this issue will be covered.
To repair this though is going to exceed the cost of a replacement camera so I would avoid a repair if the warranty has expired. But it is the LCD control (hardware component) that is failing sorry.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.