Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have cannon EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 is usm will take photo indoors

I have cannon EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 is usm will take photo indoors not in day light out side all other lense ok
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
, thank you JustAnswer.com. . I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What camera body, or camera bodies, are you using the EFS with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cannon D30

Only Canon cameras released since 2003 that have the APS-C sized sensors support the EF-S lens.

And one indication says that the D30 model is not compatible with the EF-S lenses, just the EF type strictly speaking.

If you have the 'D30' rather than the 30D, then no, it is not compatible with an EF-S lens.

Owing to uncertaintly about what camera model you have - I'm not sure there *is* a 'D30' camera by Canon, or if you mean the Powershot D30 that cannot mount any form of accessory lens assembly - I have to declare this answer, unusually, rather distinctly uncertain.

It is stated that the 30D will take the EF-S lenses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry 30D lense came with it

had them years worked ok till know tried sons camra sunday does the same

If it has been 8 years, and it worked OK before this, then I suspect that (since the lens doesn't work regardless of the camera body it is used with) the lens may be the problem.

One thing to try, before assuming the lens is a loss, is to remove the lens from the camera, then take a soft clean dry lint-free cloth, and gently rub the electronic contacts (probably copper- or silver-colored) on the lens's lens-mount area - being careful not to rub the coating off, as any harsh cleaning might - just enough to clean off the surface of the contacts, then try the lens again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cleaned camera and lens still no good assuming lens no good

That's a good assumption under the circumstances.

To be *absolutely* sure, you could do a factory reset on the settings of your camera. (The trouble with that is, it would wipe out your white balance settings and such individual configurations, and you would have to reconfigure them.) That, and trying the lens one more time, would make absolutely sure that the lens is the problem, I think.

To do a factory settings reset on your camera, the 30D model, you do as follows:

Press MENU button.
Turn the dial to select [tools icon] Clear Settings.
Then press SET.
Select OK,. then press SET again, and the settings will be reset to their factory-issue defaults.

If your EF-S lens turns out to have died, then it has had a reasonably good lifetime at 8 years.

Please rate my Answer - favorably I would hope - so that I may be paid work I have done on your question. Thanks.