Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I'm Joyce. I have the same problem as Liz 23 days ago.

I'm Joyce. I have the same problem as Liz 23 days ago. My Image Browser exe tells me it hasn't downloaded correctly. I have tried deleting it and downloading again, but it still doesn't work, so I cannot download my photos from my digital camera. Could you help please?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which version of windows or Mac you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's windows 8.1

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Joyce
Can you connect your camera to a different USB port on the computer and then try to download your photos, let me know if it still errors please.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and fix the issue if possible.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself.
I will send an offer through support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps .
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a camera with wps it has connected ok . thats not the problem. the problem is with canon's image browser exe. it appears to download correctly, but then when I try to open it i get the message that it hasn't downloaded correctly. I have tried deleting and then downloading it again but it still won't open.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so you mean the actual program Joyce.
Which internet browser are you using? eg: Internet Explorer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Google chrome i think

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, open Internet Explorer if it is Chrome you are using.
Then download it within Internet Explorer, and tell me if it then installs please Joyce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has but still isn't opening

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, click start, type in %temp% and press enter
Delete all the files and folders listed there (skip any files and folders that are in use)
Then restart the computer, download it again and tell me if you can now install it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There seems to be hundreds of files I dont know which to save. Is it just todays?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You dont save them Joyce, you delete them all.
I can also do these steps , and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) . Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry I've been so long. Have done what you said but the Canon Image browser ex will still not work. I have now a message saying a problem has caused the programe to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avalable

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, please do the following
Restart the computer
Then click start, and type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the onscreen instructions and perform a system restore choosing a date when the Image Browser last worked.
Let it complete and when it has, tell me if it now works please (it will be back on the computer)
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has never worked. It briefly opened a few minutes ago when I had downloaded it once again then immediatly closed and that's when I got the last message.

It's still not opening with the 1st message again to say uninstal and re instal which I have done once again

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still not opening with the 1st message to uninstall and re-install again. it still not working

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing you have suggested has made any difference. Image Browser EX will still not open and the same message is there as it was at the beginning of the conversation many hours ago. How do I get in contact tomorrow to see if this problem can be fixed?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Joyce
Sorry, I had to go offline.
Can you do the following
Download the program
www.revouninstaller.com
Run it and use this to uninstall any traces of the program it finds.
Once done, do the following please
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then download and install it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Richie
I followed the instructions all the way with no problem until the very end when I try to restart the computer it starts doing a clean but gets stuck at 10%. I have tried a few times but no luck.
I can try to restart using one of the advanced options, which are, System Restore, System Image recovery, Setup repair, Command prompt,UEFI firmware settings, or startup settings.
Can you please advise me which one I need to do to get my computer working and fix the original problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, looks to be the hard drive that is failing.
Before we proceed, is there data you need to save on the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, all my personal documents downloads photos and music.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, first you need to copy these files from the computer
Can you do this Joyce
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I have told you I cannot get the computer to open. I am sending these mails from my I pad. I think it's windows that won't open, as I think it's windows that was causing the original problem of not being able to download and open Canon Image Browser EX .
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that was not clear.
But it is the hard drive that appears to be failing.
We will have to attempt a reinstall which is System Image recovery
It is going to wipe the data from the computer but it is the only choice that you have Joyce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am reluctant to destroy everything. Would it not be best to try startup repair, that says it fixes problems that keep windows from working
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but I thought you had already done this Joyce.
If not, run this and let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richie

Sorry I have been so long in replying, but I have been away few days. I have managed to download the Canon Image browser ex, and it now opens ok.

However, It will not connect to my camera and tells me it cannot detect it. I have managed to download pictures from my camera to the canon image gateway, but then I cannot get them to transfer to the Image browser, or any other of my picture storage programmes on my computer. Can you please help?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you said it wont detect it, but how then did you get the pictures from it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's downloaded the pictures from the camera to the canon gateway.

This is an online photography resource. It comes automatically when you register a camera with Canon. It's also put on your camera when you wirelessly connect it to the computer.

The pictures have downloaded from the camera to this gateway, but I cannot transfer them to the programme Canon image browser to join all the rest of my photos I have collected over the years from various cameras, phones etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, can you copy them directly to the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I cannot the computer programme says it cannot find the camera

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you try plugging it into a different USB port on the computer please and tell me if the computer can then connect it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot connect it via a usb port, as a cable wasn't supplied when I bought the camera. the connections are all done wirelessly.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is the camera connected to your wirless network?
Do you have another computer we can do this on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richie

I have been in touch with Canon support and they have sent me extra instructions on how to set up the computer to accept the camera wirelessly. I had already downloaded he full instruction book, but that didn't give me all the instructions I needed apparently, which I find very strange. Anyway, everything is working fine now and thank you help in sorting out the initial Image Browser problem . regards Joyce

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome Joyce and yes, missing some instructions would be an issue.
If you have any further problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.