Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Canon 5DM3 tethered to Apple iMac in Aperture 3.4.5 Been

Canon 5DM3 tethered to Apple iMac in Aperture 3.4.5
Been working fine but suddenly I get intermittant problem getting the image to Aperture. Shooting raw. Mostly works, sometimes doesn't go over.I have to shut down Aperture and camera and start again
I have tried a new usb cable but that is worse.
Is this a program fault or camera fault?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Very generally speaking, if you have not been changing parameters or settings, but operation has been erratic, you have a hardware problem not a software problem, in all likelihood.

I suspect that either you have a flakey camera, or else an unreliable USB port.

Try changing to another USB port, the one that is farthest away from the previously used port physically on the computer. (For the ones on opposite sides of the computer, often, different 'chips' or circuitry are involved.)

Also try turning the camera Off, removing the batteries also, and leaving it that way for at least 2+ hours.
Then put the batteries back in, carefully hook it up by connecting the USB cable to the camera first, then to the computer's (new) USB port second. This may reduce any possible static discharge that could bother the circuitry of either the camera or the port.