Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

canon mv6i mc camcorder. The machine continues to prompt 'remove

Customer Question

canon mv6i mc camcorder. The machine continues to prompt 'remove cassette'. (it's not condensation). Will not close. flashing red symbol of cassette with line through it, even when no cassette in.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To clarify, you have 3 camcorders that have all started doing this?
"(I now have 3 machines all doing the same???)"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the most logical cause in this then is condensation
Why do you say this is not the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because the cameras have all been left in the same room for months. The room is warm and the cameras have not been moved around. Also, there is no 'condensation' warning.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, some damage has occurred to the mainboard on the camera, and normally this is caused by moisture or condensation.
But how this was caused is not the issue, the problem is circuitry within the mainboard has failed and its giving the sensor a false reading.
The fact that it occurred to all 3 in the same rooms, points to a single cause which is nearly always moisture.
Bu you will need to get the control board in these camcorders replaced Chris.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I'm not convinced it's condensation. Having worked in the building trade for over 25 years, I am familiar with the causes of condensation and have even tested the room with a humidistat. The camera is insured so will now send it off for a 2nd opinion.

Thanks for your help even though my problem has not been resolved.

(why would a flashing icon of a tape show, when there isn't even a tape in the machine, and the compartment wont close with no tape in???)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If the board has faulted, then the sensor for detecting the tab will not work correctly. So it is giving a false reading making it think there is a tape in it. This also stops it from closing, as internally the tape guide is set to be holding a tape, not allowing a new one to be put in.
It may also have been dropped to cause this, but I am sure you would recall three cameras all being dropped.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'd like to rate you Richard, you have taken on board my comments, but the issue has not been resolved. (I find it hard to believe all 3 are suffering from condensation in a warm room). If I find that it is condensation, then I would be happy to give you an excellent rating. I have bookmarked this page so that I can come back. Many Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I cant tell you the exact cause Chris, I can't see everything myself, only what the problem is and what you need to do to fix it.
I can't fix it from here.
Anyway, all the best.