Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

We have a canon eos 550d. The function buttons intermittently

We have a canon eos 550d. The function buttons intermittently stop working. You can take a photo, but not view it and cannot alter any of the settings. Taking out the battery and sd card and reseating them makes no difference. Does not show an error code and spontaneously starts working again.
Any ideas?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It is either an issue with the firmware or the mainboard in the camera is shorting out.
To confirm this, we will reset the camera.
To do this, please follow the instructions from Page 144 on my link below (it is easier as it shows pictures)
Click me to view
After the reset, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have followed the instructions, which seem to have cleared the fault currently. However as an intermittent fault is it likely to happen again, and what potentially would be the next course if action?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The next cause of action Joanne, if it continues is you will have to replace the camera under warranty. It will then be the main board that's faulting and will need to be replaced.
If the warranty has expired, it is not worth fixing (as it is one of the most expensive components, plus labour, plus no warranty) and you would either have to try to work with it or purchase a replacement camera.
This is in the event the reset we did did not resolve it.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.