Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

there, I have a Canon Pixma MP280 which had been printed

Customer Question

there, I have a Canon Pixma MP280 which had been printed fine, then reason when connecting my usb to the printer (as I only connect it up when printing which isn't very often) the printer was showing as offline. I tried to print a test page but the laptop was not detecting a printer connected. I have tested the usb port and I know that is working, I have tested the printer by copying and that's working, I have tried 2 different cables to test the connection between the laptop & printer and both are not showing as detected. I de-installed MP280 printer from my laptop and tried to re-install it but it gets stuck at the MP Drivers part because the connection is undetected. I tried to download the MP Drivers stage from the Canon website but it gets stuck at the same stage again undetected. I'm not sure what to do as I've tested it with 2 cables so it's not the actual cable - what would you suggest I do next?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, connect the printer to a different USB port on the Laptop.
Is it then detected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there,

I have 4 usb ports on the laptop and I've tried all of them.

Regards, Ella

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ella
When did the printer last work on the Laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Couple of days ago, but I feel I can't get back to that point because I tried deinstalling and reinstalling, and now it won't fully reinstall because the laptops not detecting the printer... do you think it's anything to do with the connection at the printer end of the cable?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It can be, so I want to confirm this.
We are going to so a restore of windows to get it back to the working state to rule out the computer as the issue.
Can you click start, type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the onscreen instructions to perform a restore, choosing a restore date when it was last able to print.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if it now works with the printer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good call, I'll try that and get back to you in sec

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there,

Sorry wait, I tried a system restore twice but when it reboots a window pops up saying "A driver supporting Solution Menu Ex no installed" and another window saying a restore couldn't be performed because of that so no files changed. what next??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there, is anyone there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

,

I'm gonna have to pop out while now so will come back to this conversation, I assume I'll still be able to contact you later today, is that right?

Thanks, Ella

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ella
Sorry I was offline, and yes you can contact me at any time, no problem with this.
Can you try to choose a different Restore point and tell me please if it can restore from this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there,

Just tried again at a earlier date and the same thing happened, window pops up offering to download Canon Easy-Webprint EX but when I click on it the download fails saying I should check if I am connected to the internet.

What should I do next?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

, is there anyone there again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

, is there anyone there that can answer my query??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please could you advise if there is another expert I could speak to? I have been trying to sort this out all day and need to print some papers morning. Many thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ella
Sorry, by the time you returned I was offline.
I am online from 8am your time today
If you like, as an added service I can sign onto your computer and do everything myself directly and at once. I have made this offer so let me know if you wish to do it this way, or we just continue here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there, sorry, didn't appreciate a time difference.

I'm back online now, so I've tried a system restore a couple of times at different dates and it still keeps getting stuck at the MP drivers stage as the laptop is not detecting the printer. What should I do next?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try to download the Easy web print from here please
Click me to view
tell me if you can download and install it from here please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there, download successful from your link, what should I do next?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Run the file please and complete the installation and tell me if you can now print pleas Ella.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there, ran the download and got to the complete window so closed that. so inserted the installation cd again in order to add a printer to my control panel but it still keeps sticking on the 'connect to printer' page and it keeps stopping as though a printer is not detected as connected, keep switching everything off and rebooting but no change.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ella
It is the USB port on the printer that has faulted.
We have ruled everything else out
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. But it will need to be replaced.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there, I was beginning to think it can only have something to do with the connection end of the usb cable into the printer as I know the laptop usb ports are ok. I'll have to check whether it's still covered as I haven't had it that long (probably about 18mths) from amazon but will follow that route because as you said we've tried a couple of obvious things.

Thanks help and yes I'll rate the service.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome Ella
If you need anything else, please let me know