Readyrmca
Readyrmca, Technician
Experience:  Over 1000 Camera and Video Accepts!!!!
30429915

, I Have a Nikon Coolpix P500 and I seem to be having some

Hi, I Have a Nikon Coolpix P500 and I seem to be having some sort of problem in that it has started giving me problems, it seems to be continually trying to focus and on some occasions it will not switch off, so I disconnect the battery only for it to be the same when I reconnect, it whirrs, then a sound like taking a picture ???
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Readyrmca replied 2 years ago.
Readyrmca :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** it would be my pleasure to help with your issue today.

Readyrmca :

When you start up your camera it goes through a start up process where the lens goes through it's full range of motion. If it meets the slightest bit of resistance during this start up process it can cause the camera to lock up like this. This is usually, but not always accompanied by some kind of error code such as "Lens Error".

Readyrmca :

I'm going to post some steps here for you to try at home to see if you can get the issue resolved. You may have already done some of them, but please bear with me and go thorough the steps in order.

Readyrmca :

When you power on your camera it goes through a start up process where the lens goes through it's full range of motion. If it meets any resistance at all during this process, then this error state is the result. Some cameras simply shut down, and others display a "Lens Error" message. This issue is usually related to a broken or misaligned gear in the lens drive. It does usually require a trip to the shop to be repaired, but I've got a few things that you can try at home to get the error cleared. You may have already tried some of these, but please bear with me and go through them in order.

1. Power down the camera, remove the batteries, memory card, and any other accessories that may be removable and let it sit for a few minutes. Then re-install new or verified fully charged batteries only and try powering it on. If you get the same error continue on.

2. Look down the barrel of the lens. What you are looking for is the tiny gap where the lens and the camera body meet. If the gap is larger in one area than another, then press gently where the gap is the largest and listen for a click.

3. Using canned air, blow out the area where the lens and the camera body meet. If you don't have access to canned air you can use an air compressor, but make sure to turn the pressure down so as not to damage anything. Use short bursts of air and do this with the lens facing downwards. It only takes one grain of sand to cause this error.

4. If nothing seems to be working, and only if the camera is out of warranty should you try this last method. I know it sounds low tech, but it actually works more often than anything else. Power on the camera and as it's powering on, strike the bottom of the camera on a hard surface (desk, palm of hand, carpet). You may have to do this several times at different angles, each time power cycling the camera.

If you go through these steps and still have the same issue, then you will most likely have to send the camera in to be serviced. If you would like me to help find you a repair service that will give you a free quote as to the cost of the repair let me know and I'll be more than happy to help with that.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else that I can do to assist you. Please don't forget to click accept and leave a positive rating for me. Thanks and have a wonderful evening!!!