Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

my canon camera ixus 80is said I needed to change battery which

my canon camera ixus 80is said I needed to change battery which I did with exact same at a cost in excess of £30. Now the battery will only hold it's charge for 10 days max without me even using it!!I am sure my original battery lasted for months between usage. Is the camera draining the power somehow i.e is there a fault on the camera? The camera was purchased new in 2008
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The camera might be at fault, yes, given that it is 6 or 7 years old. It certainly sounds like it.

Keeping the battery separate from the camera during periods of disuse makes good enough sense, and hopefully no other fault will appear in the camera in other respects.

See whether the batteries, when not in the camera, keep their charge... if so, then the camera itself is now bleeding off charge from them - a fault, though a slight one as yet.

You might want to try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?