Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 50 which was my late wife's camera.

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 50 which was my late wife's camera. She used it quite a lot and it never failed her. I have been using it too, and quite recently it failed to open. I have shown it too some very experienced amateurs who are baffled. I have made sure the battery is charged up, but nothing works, especially to switch on. The camera is about 6/7 years old. Is it possible to end on this camera to you for a diagnosis please?
I live in Penally, Pembrokeshire post code SA70 7PN. My email is *****@******.*** Tel: 01834 845982. Thanking you in anticipation. Michael Doyle
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is there any sign on the camera that it is receiving power?
And what steps did you take to try to resolve this?
Thank you Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NOT AT PRESENT AS THE BATTERY MAY BE LOW .WHEN IT WAS FULLY CHARGED I STILL COULD NOT OPEN THE CAMERA.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Michael
Remove the battery and hold the power to on for 35 seconds to release all residue power.
Then put the battery back in and try to turn it on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I DID NOT REALISE YOU WERE WAITING. THE BATERY IS CHARGING AT PRESENT, BEEN ON FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks ok Michael
Did you do my instructions?
I will repeat them
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

RICHARD I REMOVED BATTERY AND REPLACED AFTER 35 SECS IT IS STILL CHARGING,

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, is it turning on Michael?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN THE CAMERA BUT NOTHING HAPPENEND I COULD NOT OPEN IT.

DO YOU WANT ME TO TAKE IT OUT OF CAMERA AND TRY AGAIN?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, it will just give the same result Michael as I see this problem all the time.
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to restart it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has expired, it is not worth to have this repaired.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no questions thank you. I will contact Canon direct, but I understand they do not have spare parts for my model, as in 2013 they stopped producing parts.

I did not reply last night as I had to get on with making my dinner!

Michael

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem Michael!
If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember to rate my service
Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman