Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

Can i connect my MV 940 video camera to new computer without

Can i connect my MV 940 video camera to new computer without firewire connection point please. ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

The MV 940 is designed to connect to a computer via firewire. USB is not fast enough and will only work to transfer still images from a card. Your only other options are A/V and component cables. These will work but the computer needs the coresponding inputs, which most don't have.

What type of computer and operating system are you using?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rick, That sounds a bit gloomy! I have previously had no problem with "import" using firewire to our old computer using Pinnacle programme on windows xp. Now we have windows 8.1 and new HP pavilion tower which does not have connection for firewire.

Thanks for quick response. Anthea

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
The good news is you can add a Firewire card to the computer. These are inexpensive and relatively easy to install. There are 2 basic types of cards; PCI and PCI-E(express). You can get either one at most any store that sells computers and they plug right into the motherboard.