Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

my lens will not go back into the main body of the camera and

Customer Question

my lens will not go back into the main body of the camera and has stopped working,what do i need to do to fix the problem
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What model is it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cannon power shot sx600hs

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Look at the lens straight on, does it look centered?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am trying to relay these questions to my daughter has she is back packing in south america and has only had the camera 3 weeks . on the picture she has sent me it is full out of the opening and is completely dead.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok when you try to turn it on does it do anything at all?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it is completely dead . The battery has been taken out and left out for a couple of days.

We dont know if abit of moisture got into it whilst on a trip.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that is not a good sign, do you happen to have another battery you can test with?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no only the one that came with the camera

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
From what you are describing you could have a dead battery, even though they are rechargeable they do eventually die. However you could also have a failing board in order to find out we would need to test the battery. A voltmeter or something similar can be used to test it, or if someone else with her has a Canon camera some of them use the same type of battery.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the camera is only 3 weeks old is it possible for it to die so quickly

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If it got wet the board could be damaged that quickly yes, the battery however would have to be defective for that to happen but it does happen. Since it is only 3 weeks old though it should be under warranty, but unfortunately that would be within the country it was bought.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there anything else she could try even for the lens to go back into the main body of the camera. the camera was purchased at ***** ***** ,london but unfortunately my daughter is travelling for a couple of months so if the camera is faulty she will not be able to sort it out until she returns

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Normally this will not work unless the camera shows some sign of power, but if it did we would try this to recenter the lens.
The lens being off center can prevent it from retracting properly.
While holding the power button gently push the lens to the side.

Test this with each of the 4 sides, if it is off center to one side doing this should get it to retract while holding the power button.
If you hear a click while doing it do not worry that is normal.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.