Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

Guys. Canon 1d Mark ii failure question! Yes I know it's

Hi Guys. Canon 1d Mark ii failure question! Yes I know it's ancient!
Camera was In AI Servo and 8.5fps when it started failing to meter- and blowing all the shots out. Now it won't focus correctly using any lens. Focus is off even in the viewfinder which is strangely dimmed and metering is always blown. Any ideas?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

If the viewfinder is dimmed, that usually means the lens is stopping down during focus and metering. This would account for both the focus and metering errors.

The 1D's are equipped with a stop-down button at the bottom of the mirror box. Please check to see if this is stuck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rick. Tried that. Not that.

Camera simply won't focus- tried various Canon lenses. Metering always blows out- especially when shooting vertically- in portrait orientation.

For the same scene metering is completely different- shutter speed 1000 for landscape- 250 for portrait- all utterly out of focus.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
I understand this. With a lens on the camera, look down through the front of the lens and tell me if the diaphram is stopped down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got a Canon 50mm 1.8 on so I could see and no- it isn't stopped down.

Stop down button is functioning correctly and without sticking

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
That's good to know. Is the diaphram stopping down when you look through the front of the lens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yup- the diaphragm is stopping the correct amount down when you press the stop down button.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
OK. Just to clarify, the diaphram is wide open when you first look into the lens and then stops down correctly when you press the stop down button. Correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
When you look through the viewfinder, is the image dimmed right now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I may have used the wrong term. The viewfinder image is unclear- foggier (?) especially towards the top of the frame. It appeared 'dimmer' earlier as I was out shooting a football match in bright sunlight.

When looking through the viewfinder when focusing- everything is now out of focus and although the camera drives the lens to focus it does not do so. The images taken are out of focus and over exposed too.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried doing a full reset on the camera?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
My appopogies, I ned to step away for awhile. I can either continue this conversation in about 2 hrs. or turn it back over to the forum in hope that another expert can help you. Which would you prefer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

See you back in a few hours! Thanks for your help so far too

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where did you go to Rick? Thought you were coming back after a few hours?

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My business took a little longer than expected yesterday.

You say the image is foggy in the upper part os the frame. are the images the same? Oh and by the way, be sure the exposure compensation is set to 0.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem. Great to have you back!

Exposure comp is and always has been at zero. I shoot sports so practically never use comp.

Found the series of shots where the camera went loco.

Shooting using a Canon 70-200 f4L at f4, ISO 400. 14th frame of an 8.5 fps burst at 1/1600. 15th drops the shutter speed to 1/200. 16th to 1/25th! Basically a white frame. (All focused on two football players within ten yards of me. No real change of light in the scene at all)

After that nothing is focused and all the metering is wrong- always underestimating the shutter speed.

Tried a reset- clearing settings, removing all batteries including clock. No change.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
What type of metering are you using? Spot, center weighted or matrix.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Normally shoot evaluative- but have tried the other metering modes and the problem remains the same- focus and metering are off.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
At this point, as a veteran technician, my best suggestion would be to have a tech look at it hands on. Intermittant problems are difficult at best to correct when the camera is on the bench in front of any good technician and this one will take some in depth diagnosis. Pf you need help finding someone to repair the camera, just ask, I'll be glad to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for our help. Most of the service centres in the UK no longer repair mkii's because of their age- but I've got some camera shop friends who might be able to steer me in the right direction!

Thanks again! Kind regards