RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a Canon Eos7d and I just cant get the settings right

Hi I have a Canon Eos7d and I just cant get the settings right for a large group. I have to take school choirs and football teams some 30 or 40 in either 3 rows of 10 or 4 rows of ten and I also have to take plays on stage. I just can't get my settings right. I always use flash.
Should I be in manual, AV, TV I need your help. TONIGHT FOR A PLAY IN MANUAL MODE I TRIED 1/100 SEC f9 AND 100, 1/100 SEC f9 AND 400 AND I STILL DIDNT GET A GOOD PICTURE.
PLEASE HELP WHAT SHOULD I HAVE IT SET TOO?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

Since you are not trying to capture movement (stop action), the shutter speed is not really a big consideration. 1/100 is fast enough to avoid shake while hand-holding the camera during the shot, stay around 1/60 if using a tripod . Because you are lucky enoug to have such a high resolution camera. You can raise the ISO as high as 1000 without injecting too much noise. 800 is probably optimal for your subjects. Use TV (Shutter Priority) mode to allow the camera to choose the best apeture. Take some shots varying the ISO from 640 to 1000.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russ I could not wait to try out these settings and I have just come in from taking a group of 40 students. This did not work and the faces were not sharp. I am really at a loss. I also did these settings for a scene from a play tonight and the settings did not work for it either.

The group of 40 plus students I got a better result from Manual F6.3 1/250 iso 800 but it was not as sharp as it should be either but better than 1/100 iso 800. I really am trying to get this right please help

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
How much movement is there?

Are you using the built in flash only?

Are you set on the highest resolution?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No movement, no I am using Canon 580 EX11 flash I tried 640, then 800 and then 1000

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Is the camera set to the maxium size and quality & what lens are you using?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russ it is great being able to chat to you. I am using 18 to 135 EFS Canon IS lens and I was set at the large setting 2nd down on list. Liz

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
You really need to give the highest quality a try. I think that you will be surprised at the improvement in clarity (effectively double). The file is fairly large, but, really not hard to work with. You are using a decent lens, so, no changes necessary there.

RUSSTING, Technician
Experience: 30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russ apologies I have not been home for a couple of days I will go into my email and rate your help. Thank you for your patience. I took another photo last night of group of kids 10 wide by 4 deep and used the TV 1/100 and 800 iso as the 1000 is too grainy and whilst the pic is better than I was getting I got better results on auto and it was f4 1/60 iso 400 but still was not as sharp as you would want. So I am still searching for that perfect setting for a large group.