Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon G16, only 4 months old, developed ( may have

Customer Question

I have a Canon G16, only 4 months old, developed ( may have always had ) a clicking noise every few seconds from within the body of the camera. Working normally and picture quality is good.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The clicking might be anything. I suggest (below) a general power-down or 'rest' reset, and also another measure that might doubtfully help... but I strongly suspect, that unless the warranty has been invalidated, you might need to try
A. a factory settings reset to be quite sure it isn't some rare setting that is the problem (I very much doubt it), and
B. sending it off to Canon to be examined/repaired, or replaced, as Canon may see fit.
(To send to Canon for warranty-covered examination and repair, call 1-800-OK-CANON with proof of purchase date in-hand at the time of the call - sales receipt or credit card records of the purchase are both sufficient for proof of purchase date.)

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your reply - I have further localised the problem clicking to only happening in shooting mode ( not playback ) and also only happening with the mode dial set to auto -in any of the other modes ie Av, Ap P etc there is no noise. I don't know if this additional info is helpful at all to suggesting a likely problem ?

Maldwyn

If it only happens in shooting mode and in Auto mode, not in playback etc.... then I suppose it has something to do with metering and response, leading to a feedback loop in the camera's internal reactions, thus repeated clicking in only that mode.

The metering or sensing in the camera, dictates some readjustment, which affects the metering or sensing so as to produce the opposite readjustment, thus repeated clicking. That's one interpretation.

I think it need repair servicing for this sort of thing. If e.g. an optical sensor were physically obscured, it would adjust to that in one direction, then stay that way, not repeatedly try and try again.

Additional thought:

If you are using an accessory or detachable lens with this camera - it's just a thought, I haven't researched it - then there might be something you could try.

If the lens assembly were clicking, then you might have a situation where a control sequence was attempted, and either the response / sensor response was not received, or similarly - leading to retries, and repeated clicking.

Is the lens assembly used with this camera compatible? (I haven't even checked as to whether this camera can have an accessory lens attached, or whether it is a 'fixed lens' camera - if this is irrelevant, pardon me, please.) The lens assembly part # ***** model # ***** allow me to judge this.

Also, you could remove the lens assembly, with the camera powered Off, and wipe the contacts on the lens mount, both on the lens assembly and the corresponding ones on the camera body, gently, with a soft (clean, dry) cloth... gently so as not to remove the coating on the contacts! then reassemble lens to camera body, and try again.