Steve G.
Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

I have recently purchased a CANON Powershot SX130 IS

I have recently purchased a CANON Powershot SX130 IS for the specific purpose of photographing coins from my collection on Ebay. I have also bought a lighting box and take the photos from around 6-8" distance. Despite numerous attempts I cannot transfer these photos to Ebay and retain the zoom capacity which is vital to attract purchasers.
I have the camera set on Auto Focus and set to 1.5 zoom. I am transferring the photos onto my laptop and into Camera Window I then edit them in Photo Stitch and save them back into My Pictures via EX-Browser. However , when I upload them onto Ebay, the zoom capability has been lost. I need complete instructions from Camera Setting, through transfer to computer and Upload to Ebay please.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Steve G. :

Hi, my name is Steve. I'll try and help you.

Steve G. :

Please let me know when you are there.

Customer:

At last. I have had huge problems registering.

Steve G. :

Hi there. I paused the clock. Let's see what we can do.

Steve G. :

So, when you refer to zoom, you are talking about the feature on Ebay that allows you to mouse over the main photo and you see a zoomed in version??

Customer:

Correct

Steve G. :

Ok. What format are your photos when you upload them? JPGs?

Customer:

Yes

Steve G. :

This has nothing to do with your camera or post processing. It is an eBay feature. Hold on please and I will look for you.

Steve G. :

You need to use the Advance Listing Tool when you post your auctions. If you use the Simple Tool, you will not get the Zoom.

Customer:

Where do I find that?

Steve G. :

Also, let me backtrack on one of my previous statement - the photo has to be at least 1600 pixels wide.

Steve G. :

So that when it does zoom, it is not pixelated.

Steve G. :

How large in pixels are your image files?

Customer:

How do I set that on the camera?

Steve G. :

Let me look at the manual - hold on.

Steve G. :

Here you go. CLICK HERE

Steve G. :

Just set it to Large.

Steve G. :

And when you are manipulating the photo in your computer, don't shrink it below 1600 pixels wide.

Customer:

Sorry Steve - I cant find the way to reset the pixel size. It doesn't seem to be in the menu.

Steve G. :

You need to be in Auto.

Steve G. :

Actually you don't but let's start there.

Steve G. :

If you have never done this, it's likely that your photos are already the correct size.

Steve G. :

Are you using the Advanced Listing Tool when you post to eBay?

Steve G. :

CLICK HERE for a discussion on this.

Steve G. :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, just printed of the Ebay advice page, so I can follow that later. Still confused about Camera setting. Do you think default will be OK and with AUTO. Do I need to use Zoom function and is pixel size 640 x 480 OK?

Customer:

Also , still can,t find how to alter pixel size if I need to.

Steve G. :

Ok, grab your camera.

Steve G. :

Press the Func Set button

Customer:

Got it

Steve G. :

On the left side of the screen near teh bottom, you will have an L ir an M1 or M2 or S or something else.

Steve G. :

What do you see?

Steve G. :

Sorry about the typos.

Steve G. :

L, M1, M2, S or W.

Steve G. :

Change it to L or even M1 will work fine,

Customer:

I am in M2 and it says 1600 x 1200

Steve G. :

That's fine.

Steve G. :

Stay with that.

Steve G. :

So it's not your camera.

Customer:

OK

Steve G. :

You are good to go.

Steve G. :

I would probably go to M1 though, or L.

Steve G. :

M1 is 2816 x 2112

Customer:

Do I transfer just into My Pictures and from there to Ebay without doing anything else?

Steve G. :

Sure.

Steve G. :

Unless you want to trim the photo.

Customer:

So just to recap - You reckon I am OK on AUTO and M1 OR M2 . Transfer without editing into My Pictures. Then onto Ebay using Advance Listing Tool? That correct?

Customer:

Will M2 or M1 fit Ebay? I thought they had to be 640

Steve G. :

No. YOu can upload larger photos. 640 will not zoom.

Customer: Well I guess that will help me get on the right track. Thanks Steve
Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company.