Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

IXUs 105, EOS M and, very recently, Powershot SX600 HS. Image

IXUs 105, EOS M and, very recently, Powershot SX600 HS. Image Browser EX starts up fine till it gets to "starting 80% completed". It stops for a minute or two there, then it tells me to checkthat Silverlight is properly installed and try again. I can't get any further.
I've uninstalled Silverlight and Image Browser, and reinstalled them, but h4e problem is just the same: I can't get into Image Browser.
Thanks,
Michael
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would check on the version of Silverlight you are installing.

In fact, I would also check on the version of ImageBrowser that you are installing too.

And, make sure to restart your computer between the uninstalling of both, and the reinstalling of both. (If you have not done so, it's to-be-tried.)

Please let me know the versions of the two programs involved, and I will look up compatibility (which I suspect is the problem in this case.)
Also let me know what Windows version is on your computer, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Russell,

The Silverlight is Version 5.1.30514.0, and the Canon Image Browser EX is 1..4.0. My OS is Vista (32-bit). Following your letter I have removed and reinstalled, fist, ImageBrowser, then, Silverlight, shutting down and rebooting after each step. The result is the same as it was before.

Michael

OK. Try uninstalling ImageBrowser.

Then restarting.

Then when restarted fully, and logged back in to your computer, go to

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/softwareapp/imagebrowser_ex#DriversAndSoftware

and click on the 'Software' link, then download the ImageBrowser there, and install it. See how that works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried what you suggest, but there is no change: ImageBrowser opens to the 80% stage and, after a minute, it says that Silverline may not be installed properly.

Perhaps I should write to Canon

Well, it would seem the problem is not that of versions of software.

Canon might be able to provide information slightly sooner than I could - or not.

I suggest that you go to
Start - Control Panel - Internet Options
and go to the Advanced tab, then use the button to 'Reset Internet Explorer to its default settings', and then close Internet Options by clicking on OK.

See if that allows ImageBrowser to open past 80 %.

Also see this page, and the STEP 1 - FixIt
and the STEP 2
and see if they help your programs to work, even temporarily. (<- If a reset to Internet Explorer does not help.)

Ref: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/unable-to-activate-and-use-canon-image-browser-ex/bc950fb2-a3a6-4620-af37-a0db2279ba6f