Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

CASIO EX-Z70 The lens on my camera is jammed in the "extended"

CASIO EX-Z70
The lens on my camera is jammed in the "extended" position. When I turn the camera on, I move through the preliminaries and then a green light flashes for a few seconds before delivering the message RETRY POWER ON. I have removed and replaced the battery. A similar sequence has happened repeatedly. Any help would be much appreciated.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Look at the lens straight on, does it looks centred?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks centred. Thank you.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
When you turn it off do you heat the lens try to retract?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, but I hear the activity in the lens when I switch it on.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That could mean you need a new part then, just in case lets check if it is slightly off center anyway.
While holding the power button gently push the lens to the side.

Test this with each of the 4 sides, if it is off center to one side doing this should get it to retract while holding the power button.
If you hear a click while doing it do not worry that is normal.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It hasn't worked.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did anything different happen while you tried that?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think so.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, how old is the camera? Do you happen to have an extended warranty for it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have an extended warranty. The camera may be about 7 years old, but I'm not certain

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Even if you did have one then it would no longer be covered. The longest I know of is 5 years and the average is 3. From what you are describing the zoom unit has failed and needs to be replaced. On your cameras it is integrated into the lens. So to replace the zoom unit which extends/retracts the lens you need to be replace the entire lens assembly.

If you are handy you can disassemble and make sure nothing is stuck inside around the lens stopping it from moving. Here is a guide on how to do that: Click Here Unfortunately the lens is not sold any more so to get one you normally need to buy the same model used with a different problem on eBay. A board failure for example. Or you can buy one that works like this one: Click Here then use your old one for parts if anything else fails.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Camera.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the links. I have disassembled the camera as far as step 10 but am unable to proceed because I can not locate the two metal plates described

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Step 10 should be a tab, on each piecture the screwdriver will either be on the part it is referring to, or there should be a red box around the part the step refers to.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I still can't find it. No red box, either, as far as I can see. Is it under or behind the orange tape?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Go down to step 11 please and see if you can go from there.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that good piece of advice. I have managed step 11!! Yippee. Will try to continue now...

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have removed the lens! (It's a bit like doing surgery!)

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Smile I am glad to hear it now you would want to clean anything you can and reverse the same steps. Cotton swabs are usually the best way to clean.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll give it a go. I have some of those cotton "buds" on little sticks. I think reassembly will be difficult, but at least I've tried. You've been very patient. Thank you. Jerry. (Dr!!!!)

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and it actually looks harder than it is, if you go slow it should be fine. And those buds will work. If the same thing happens after Unfortunately the lens is not sold any more so to get one you normally need to buy the same model used with a different problem on eBay. A board failure for example. Or you can buy one that works like this one: Click Here then use your old one for parts if anything else fails.

.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience: Years of experience.