Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Canon MG4250 printer. It has started printing multiple

I have a Canon MG4250 printer. It has started printing multiple copies instead of just one and sometimes only prints the top half of the page. Any ideas?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, can you please remove the power from the printer and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power again, restart the computer and try to print.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That has made no difference at all

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is it doing this from all programs you print from, or just one in particular?
And are you running Windows or a Mac and which version?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Simple Word documents seem to be ok in that they complete but I still get multiple copies.

Web pages or PDF files are truncated - and produce multiple copies.

I am using Windows 8.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you press the windows key and type in printers and click on device and printers.
Right click on your printer and select printer properties.
Then click on Test page and tell me how this prints please.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I won't go for the extra service. Because of all the multiple printing I am virtually out of ink so it would be just as cheap to buy a new printer.

I can't find a way to print the test page.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats no problem as its option.
But to print a test page, you follow the instructions I gave.
On which step did you get stuck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did but having right-clicked to get the properties there was no option to print the test page

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its not properties
It is Printer Properties you click on the list.
You are choosing the incorrect option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Missed that.

Ok, so I selected Print Test Page. The first time I got 2 copies, one was a full page, the second stopped after 12 file names. I tried it again and this time I got the top quarter of the page, followed by the full page.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem, easy to do, I want you to reinstall the printer please.
Right click on the printer and select Remove.
Then restart the computer.
Then insert the disk and as you did initially, install the printer again.
Once done, print and tell me please how it now functions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That seems to have done the trick thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.
The printer driver was corrupted so it needed to be reinstalled, it will be ok now.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman