Viet - Camera Tech
Viet - Camera Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot digital cameras.
30037186

Canon 7100 Pixma and iMac : "the printer is not connected".

Canon 7100 Pixma and iMac : "the printer is not connected". Never had this before and the two of them have worked together for a year. It happens irrespective of wireless or USB cable operation
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Viet - Camera Tech replied 2 years ago.
Viet - Camera Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Camera Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Please reply at the box below when you are ready. Thank you.

Viet - Camera Tech :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes. I'm still here

Viet - Camera Tech :

Thank you. Can you please go to the Apple logo menu, then System Preferences, then Print & Fax (or Print & Scan)?

Customer:

Certainly

Viet - Camera Tech :

, then select the Canon printer there, then click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left in order to delete the Canon printer for now.

Customer:

Yes - I'm there

Viet - Camera Tech :

, there, please select the Canon printer there, then click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left in order to delete the Canon printer for now.

Customer:

Yes - done that

Viet - Camera Tech :

Great, now, make sure the printer is powered on, then click on the + (plus) icon at the bottom left to see if it detects the printer; if yes, then add it

Customer:

I now have an "Add" window. Default is highlighted

Viet - Camera Tech :

Does it shows your Canon printer at that window?

Customer:

No

Viet - Camera Tech :

Even with the USB printer cable connected from the printer to the computer?

Customer:

I'll try that now

Customer:

The Canon printer is now showing in the Printers and Scanners window

Viet - Camera Tech :

ok thanks

Viet - Camera Tech :

great, now, select /add it, then see if you can print

Customer:

"Canon MG7100 series already exists. Would you like to create a new printer? Cancel or Continue?

Viet - Camera Tech :

I thought you deleted the canon printer already per my previous steps

Viet - Camera Tech :

Cancel it

Viet - Camera Tech :

then see if you can print

Customer:

Yes - it's now printing. Most grateful for your help. Please tell me how this situation arose - could it be because I've recently installed a new router?

Viet - Camera Tech :

Great. Yes, that's correct. Do you need anything else for now?

Customer:

Yes - I'd better just see if it will still print wirelessly. Bear with me a moment

Viet - Camera Tech :

OK, on the printer, you can try the following in order to connect the printer to your new router's wireless network name:

Viet - Camera Tech :

1. Press the Home button on the printer.

Viet - Camera Tech :

2. Swipe the screen left, then tap the WLAN icon.

Viet - Camera Tech :

3. Select option Wireless LAN Setup. (The (blue) Wi-Fi / wireless lamp lights up when wireless connection is enabled.)

Viet - Camera Tech :

4. Tap on option To other connection methods.

Viet - Camera Tech :

5. Tap on option Standard setup.

Viet - Camera Tech :

6. Select / connect to your wireless network name.

Viet - Camera Tech :

If successful, it will show Connected to the access point. Then delete the printer on the computer again, then re-add it per my previous suggestion (without needing to connect the usb printer cable to the computer).

Customer:

I've had to tap Scan to bring up the Home button but it didn't seem to do anything, not having swiped left either

Viet - Camera Tech :

No, don't tap on Scan. Just tap on the Home button

Viet - Camera Tech :

Full Size Image

Viet - Camera Tech :

Please just click on the website below:
http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg7150_printer_wireless_connection_setup/
, then there, click on Standard Connection Method option, then follow the instructions / illustrations there.

Customer:

(The blue light has been on all the time)

Viet - Camera Tech :

Yes, but please continue the steps.

Viet - Camera Tech :

Yes; please just continue all the steps.

Customer:

I have now been through your 6 steps and everything went through fine. But I'm still getting "printer not connected"

Viet - Camera Tech :

Did the printer show Connected to the access point when you complicated all the steps?

Viet - Camera Tech :

* completed

Viet - Camera Tech :

Did the printer show Connected to the access point when you completed all the steps?

Viet - Camera Tech :

If it did show Connected to the access point when you completed my 6 steps, then make sure you did the followings:

Viet - Camera Tech :

1. Disconnect the printer's USB cable from the printer and the computer.

Viet - Camera Tech :

2. go to the Apple logo menu, then System Preferences, then Print & Fax (or Print & Scan)

Viet - Camera Tech :

3. there, please select the Canon printer there, then click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left in order to delete the Canon printer for now.

Viet - Camera Tech :

4. Make sure the printer is powered on, then click on the + (plus) icon at the bottom left, and it should detect your wireless Canon printer, then add it, then check printing.

Viet - Camera Tech :

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

Please note that I received nothing from you between 9.42pm and 10.26pm. Yes - I can now print both wirelessly and with a USB cable. Thank you very much indeed!

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

You're welcome. I'm sorry, somehow your reply did not go through. Great. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option above, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience,