Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

How difficult/expensive is it to fit a new socket Compact

How difficult/expensive is it to fit a new socket for the Compact Flash card in a Canon 10D?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The problem is getting the port (socket) as this is not sold on the consumer market but only as repair pieces to authorized repair centers. If your able to source a broken camera then you can salvage the mainboard from this and replace the entire component in the camera.
It is soldered to the mainboard so you would need to completely disasemble the camera, cut the connecting pins and solder the new socket on. It is not easy and you will need to have skill in soldering, especially on small components to do this without damaging any other components.
A repair center can also do this for you, but to be honest, in my experience, the cost and effort for all this will exceed the value of a new camera. Plus you wont get a real warranty with the repair in the event it or anything else fails again.
My advice is to replace the camera unless you can source another one online that has a working motherboard (I checked and found none that would be worth while).
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.