RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Canon G12, this great camera which I have owned or

Canon G12, this great camera which I have owned for three or four years has recently started to produce wildly over-exposed and stryated (horziontally finely lined) images, both in preview and when I have taken a shot. I can, however, temporarily 'fix' this by giving the camera a sharp tap on a hard surface, this will then clear the problem for a few exposures. Seems to be a poor connection somewhere - what do you think, have you come across the problem before?

Is this fixable by a reasonably handy amateur with a steady hand and 7 years tech experience with video tape machines back in the 80s!

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

Is the Menu also displayed in a wildly over-exposed and stryated (horziontally finely lined) way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russ, Nope, the menus - all of 'em - display fine, it's only the info direct from the image sensor that seems to be corrupted.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

Canon has had this problem a number of times before, but, has really only owned up to it with one group of cameras a number of years ago. I have an older A75 that can just be given a little smack to restore operation.

Unfortunately, the symptoms do indicate that there is a problem with the ccd (the light sensitive chip that produces the image)or the connection to it, Canon repair is really the only option and while your camera is not on the list of cameras Canon's on free repair program, the information at the links below does fully explain the problem and tells how Canon handled it. Canon UK stopped acknowledging the issue about a year earlier than the US. Since more and more newer models have the identical problem the info may give you some leverage with Canon. You are now the 3rd person in a three month period, with a that I have advised of this problem. Click on or copy and paste the link into your browser

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024801e74fe

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Canon UK

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair_information.aspx

I would contact then, since Canon has been known to give some compensation in these situations or at least a good discount on a replacement.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.
If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much Russ, kind of confirmed my suspicions, but interesting to hear I'm not alone with this problem. Thanks for the links.

Cheers,

Jim

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
You are quite welcome.
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.