Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Good evening. I have a Cannon Selphy printer. I put in

Good evening.
I have a Cannon Selphy printer. I put in a new cartridge and have only printed 1 photo from it, it is now telling me there is an error and the red light keeps coming on. I cannot eject the cartridge from the unit. Can you help me.
Karen
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When the cartridges on Selphy printers jam up, they can be a real problem to remove... sometimes requiring service. There should be a take-up spool you can turn... the right cylinder of the cartridge. Try turning it to make sure it's tight. If you can see foil coming out of the printer, you may need to pull all of that out to release the cartridge.
If you still can't get the cartridge out, you may need to disassemble the printer to see what's jamming it up and remove the obstruction.
In this case, how old is the printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richie

I cannot see a spool. in the front where the paper tray is fitted there is a black bar at the top and just under that there is a chrome bar with 3 wheels. the message that comes up when you send to print is:

Problem with ink cassette.
Correct as follows, then try printing again.

1. Check the state of the ink cassette.
2. Turn printer off and back on.
3. Remove the paper that caused the error

I forgot to mention that the paper also got stuck but when you turned it off then on again the was easy to come out.

Karen

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you have the model that cannot manually eject the cartridge.
If the paper also got stuck it sounds like the internal drive motor for the gearing is failing.
But lets first rule out the firmware as the issue.
Remove the power from the printer and wait 5 minutes.
This will clear the memory, then plug the power back in, turn it on and try to eject.
Let me know the results please Karen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This happened a week ago and I have only turned it on for the first time this evening. I sent a picture to print and the red light with the error came on straight away, the paper did not even attempt to feed through.

I think I have had the printer about 3 - 4 years

Karen

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the drive motor inside is failing Karen, its causing the gears to lock up and this is why the paper had the issue (which would continue if the motor started again) and why it wont eject.
When you put the new cartridge in, it sent the motor through the entire rotation and this was the final run for it.
3-4 years is ok, they tend to last around this time frame. Parts are pretty rare and including labor, expensive, in the end with the limited warranty you get on the parts and labor, it is better to replace the printer rather then having it repaired and this is what you are going to have to do sorry Karen.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richie

Thank you for your help. I thought this might be my result but was hoping in the back of my mind we could fix it.

I suppose there comes a point when you need to replace something and this happens to be it for me.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Yes of course I will rate you.

Karen

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome Karen
If you ever need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And have a great weekend.
-Richard