Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have an intermittent problem with my Canon EOS 1200 in that

I have an intermittent problem with my Canon EOS 1200 in that I will get a message clean the contest and try again. I clean them and its OK for a while. It also refuses to take photos on certain settings - just won't focus, and then its OK. This happens both with the normal lens and the telephoto lens.
Deborah
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please Deborah how you cleaned the contacts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard. I clean them with the lens cloth I clean my glasses with. Its a soft slightly absorbent cloth.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I want you to clean it with an eraser, so what you use to rub out pencil marks.
This properly cleans the contacts for the Lens and removes all oils and minimises or removes any scratches.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did this with both lenses and it seems fine now but it is an intermittent problem and I clicked off a few shots before I cleaned them and nothing happened. Would this also explain why yesterday in excellent conditions I couldn't take photos on the A Scene intelligent auto but could take them on setting P?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It can be due to faulting contacts or a faulting main board and the memory it needs to use for these settings.
If the problem re-occurs it will the the mainboard that will be faulting and this would require a replacement of the camera as the mainboard will need replacing.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.