RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Is there software compatible with Finepix J10 digitalcamera

Customer Question

Is there software compatible with Finepix J10 digitalcamera for installation on Windows PC using 8.1 op.system
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

First, if you have not already done so, download and install the Finepix updated software at the link below. The original software from your disc needs to be updated.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/finepix_viewer/ver55win/

Next, because the recent security updates to the Windows operating system and virus protection programs interfere with the camera connections. I have seen many cases where the connection worked one day and would not work the next. Some manual set up may be required to get the camera to connect. See below since you have Windows 8

Now, restart you computer once more. Then with the camera on and connected with the usb cable,on the computer, go to control panel,

In Winndows 8.1

To open Control Panel

Open Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Control Panel in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking Control Panel.

Control
View Full Image

Control Panel has familiar settings like themes and desktop backgrounds, Family Safety, screen resolution, and more.

To open the Settings charm

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Settings.)

In the Settings charm, you'll find settings, help, and info for the app you're in, plus a few common PC settings—network connection, volume, brightness, notifications, power, and keyboard. These PC settings are the same no matter where you are in Windows, but the app settings are different in every app.

To search for settings

If you're not sure where to find the settings you're looking for, you can search your PC.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter a word or phrase in the Search box, tap or click Settings, and then select from the list of results.

select show all options, then, scanners and cameras and try to connect through the wizard. If unsuccessful, the last place to look is in the device manager. Go to back Control Panel, double click the System icon and select Device Manager. Under the heading Imaging Devices you should find the camera, possibly with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. Click on Imaging devices (the words will highlight), then go up and click on Action and select "scan for hardware changes". The camera may then appear under the heading. You can also delete it and allow the computer to try to provide the correct driver. Since you are trying to use camera window software, open the program and try to connect.

While not the most popular suggestion, the one, you mentioned, depending on your computer configuration may still be the only way around the problem. As an alternative, because of multiple compatibility issues with the camera connections and current operating systems, my other suggestion is to get an inexpensive usb memory card reader. You can take your memory card from the camera and plug it into the computer. The card will show up as a removable drive in "My Computer" and you can copy the photo files to a folder on your hard drive and view and print them from Windows or still even transfer them from the card into Finepix Viewer, if that is what you use. Personally, I prefer this method due to the simplicity and reduced wear and tear on the camera.
Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to EXPERT to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.