Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

I have a canon MV800 camcorder, I recorded an hour long video

I have a canon MV800 camcorder, I recorded an hour long video on Saturday, when I played it back the screen was blank, just the normal blue background.
I then put a cassette in the camera I had previously recorded, and the same thing, just blank, although the tape was moving.
I did have a previous problem, vertical lines across the screen, so you could see part of the picture, punctuated with vertical bands, I cleaned the heads a couple of times, and the video pictures were alright again, but it seems more serious this time, hope you are able to help, thank you.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

This is due to either a dirty or defective video drum. These will become embeded with oxides fron previous tape and usually requires a good, professional cleaning to cure. It takes solvents and very special care to clean the drum properly and most camera technicians are experienced in this.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Just a quick follow-up to see if I can be of further assistance.