RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have an EOS 5D mk111 camera . Having a 5D mk1 already with

Customer Question

I have an EOS 5D mk111 camera . Having a 5D mk1 already with an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens. I began to use the lens from the old 5D camera with the new Mk111 5D. After 2 months use a fault has developed : It is an intermittent fault : sometimes the lens focusses and takes a good picture. Other times a fault shows up. The fault which appears on the back screen is Error 01 a communication fault between lens and camera. I have carefully cleaned the electrical contacts between the lens and camera on several occasions with both a tool for this job and an erasor ( rubber) for ink and pencil on paper. Every time the fault comes back. sometimes immediately and other times after a few shots. If I put another lens eg 70-300 mm I have no trouble. Also if I put the 24-105 lens on my old 5D mk1 no problem. Can you say please whether mk11 camera or the 24-105 needs service (or both) or suggest any other action I could take to help myself. The 24-105 lens is perhaps 5years old and has served me well. I am not keen to buy a new lens of this type but perhaps you could suggest a good lens for my new camera, a zoom up to 100 approx for general and holiday photography. I am not a professional but a relatively experienced amateur. Thanks for your help Keith Rowe
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
Hi, First, eraser or abrasive type cleaning is not recommended for cleaning contacts on newer Canon cameras. A soft cloth and alcohol is much safer and can be more effective. As you suspected, it is quite possible that the lens may need servicing, since the 5D mkIII appears to be more sensitive to the physical alignment of the mounting contacts. This lens is still the best selection for your needs and a Canon evaluation and cleaning is what I would suggest. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directlydependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As withany "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can'tsee or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterityand ability to follow the instructions well.If you require additional information, please use the Reply to ExpertTab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange iscomplete and you are satisfied.If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience: 30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

It sounds like the "flex", (the flexible ribbon cable), that connects the power diaphram has a crack in it. This is a common problem with Canon lenses. It is repairable and the part is available from many sources but the lens needs to be completele disassembled to repair. This really isn’t a user serviceable problem and should be repaired by a qualified technician. Below is a link to a directory of repair shops, one of which should be in your area and able to help you.

http://www.acecam.com/uk-camera-repair.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your comment about the flexible ribbon cable on my Canon Lens.What you say very much agrees with the problem I have experienced and you say it is common occurrence in Canon lenses. I shall be glad to get it repaired as I am fond of this versatile "L" lens.I am naturally pleased with your answer.Thanks &best regards Keith

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The 24-105 isn't on my discontinued list, but I would check with Canon first before sending it in. You may want to check with an independent repair shop first before sending it directly to Canon. You'll get a better price on the repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this advice. It could save me a lot of trouble. I still see 24-105 lenses on sale so think it is still current. I am a member of a good camera club and I am sure some of th top guys there will advise on who can arrange the repair. I shall however get on to Canon to make double sure it is still current ( I must say a replacement L lens like mine might be pretty expensive). Thanks for everything and for first class advice. I thinkthat's it best rgsrds Keith

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome.

While the ribbon cable issue, is in my opinion, a remote possibility, since it still functions properly on the mk I. I would still send the lens to Canon for an evaluation, cleaning & calibration.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I've seen this problem many times and 99.9% of the time, it is a defective flexible ribbon cable. This item is available as a seperate part from a variety of sources and you will get the best repair cost from an independent repair facility. Below is a link to a directory of repair shops, one of which should be in your area and able to help you.

http://www.acecam.com/srindex.html