Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

Have just returned from a trip to Victoria Falls, Cape Town

Have just returned from a trip to Victoria Falls, Cape Town and a cruise from Cape Town to Southampton via, Walvis Bay, the Canaries and Madeira.
On return I quickly viewed some files off a Transcend SD HC 16 GB card on a windows laptop computer. My video camera is the Canon Legria HF R206 HD (S/N 403244 1 00681). I later replaced the 16 GB card back in the Canon camera. On turning the video camera back on I see that all the files have "?" on them and when I try to play them a message comes up saying "cannot play back"
Can I recover my files?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is***** a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

Yes. It is possible to recover deleted videos as long as the space they occupied on the hard drive has not been recorded over.

There are many excellent video recovery programs on the market today. My favorite is UndeletePlus by TouchStone software available at the site below. It's not free, but it is easy to use and very thorough.I have found it invaluable on many occasions

http://undeleteplus.com

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
One minor correction to the last email. It refers to image files stored on a hard drive. This applies to memory cards as well. It's a common problem and is eaasily solved.

You may want to check the settings on the program you are using to view the videos on your computer. Some have a setting to mark the video file as deleted once it is imported to the computer. It's the default setting on many programs and should be set to "Off".