Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

EOS 300D. Since changing lens EF 35-80 EF80-200 , when

EOS 300D. Since changing lens EF 35-80 for a EF80-200 , when attempting to take a photo I get no photo plus error 99 showing. I have removed the battery and refitted it...No joy. I have removed the lens and using a dry cloth on lens and camera contacts...No joy. The camera was working fine until changed lenses as described in "users guide". Further thoughts ? Thanks.......
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Can you try the old lens? This error can be caused by an incompatible or damaged lens.
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Refitted old lens and problem continues.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That rules out the lens. Unfortunately this error means undefined which could be caused by anything. Next please remove the lens and clean the camera body as best you can. Pay most attention to the electrical contacts and let me know what happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Remains the same. I have removed the battery and refitted it, No change.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please take a picture or try to without the lens attached at all, do you get a blurry image?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No picture at all, just "error 99".

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not good, how old is it? If over a year old did you happen to get and extended warranty with it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, just a cheap purchase. But why would changing the lens damage the camera ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The lens most likely did not damage the camera from what you are saying the board inside the camera with the lens connection on it has failed. It could be a coincidence or the new lens could have damaged that connection. Unfortunately to fix it the board would need to be replaced. Without a warranty however it can be expensive so you may want to call around for a price first. If it was just the lens you should have gotten a blurry photo when trying without a lens. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.