Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Fuji A345 digital camera which is behaving

I have a Fuji A345 digital camera which is behaving erratically in that the Zoom facility does not always function and/or will cause the image to go blank. Put new bateries in but no change. Camera is nearly 10 years old, bought Sept '05 in Singapore. What is to do with it? Hector M XXXXX

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step Mr Rogers, can you remove the batteries from the camera and wait 10 minutes to allow all power to drain.
Then put the batteries back in, turn on the Camera and tell me please if it now functions.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did as you suggested, removed batteries, replaced after 10 minutes, operated Zoom facility, but when pressed the button blank screen and camera went off, had to switch on again to try to repeat.

What next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
On this camera there is no reset option which rules out the firmware as the issue, which confirms the mainboard or zoom motor that has faulted.
It is a hardware issue with the camera. Though I do have to say 10 years is good use as usually the imaging sensor fails within 5-7. Being so old, a warranty is not going to be possible, and repair will cost more then the worth of the camera, especially if its the mainboard in the camera (which would only be known once a hardware diagnostics is performed on the camera)
I am really sorry about this but you will need to purchase a replacement camera, it s just not feasible to repair this problem.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.