Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a Legria HF R56 camcorder and record in MP4 and am having

Customer Question

I have a Legria HF R56 camcorder and record in MP4 and am having difficulties with editing. I understand the trimming procedure but this seems messy and long winded when all I need to do is isolate the section I don't want and then delete it. It would be a big help on say a 30 minute holiday recording when I may need to cut out perhaps a dozen unwanted sequences Can I do that?
The other problem is when editing the bottom section which gives me control of the video it only lasts a few seconds. Can this be kept on the screen until I have completed identifying the section I wish to deal with?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. What software are you using? It sounds like you may need something else for what you want.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am only using the camcorder. What software should I need to edit simply on the camcorder? The Manual doesn't mention any external software as far as I can see.

Incidentally, when I posted this query at the end it seemed to stop any further progress with the red advice that my e-mail address belonged to a previous customer without advice of what to do about it. I thought that was the end of it but, as you have replied, it obviously still got through.

***** *****.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok on the camcorder itself you will not be able to do it the way you want to, you would only be able to do it the way you already are. If you move the files to a computer first you could use software on your computer which would speed up the process of cutting out what you want to, they also tend to be more precise as they usually let you cut within a fraction of a second. I can give you an example of this kind of software if you let me know what version of windows or mac is on your computer. There tends to be free versions of this software for both.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Freddy,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on an Advent machine.

Regards,

***** *****

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok I would suggest the movie maker then: Click Here
Here is a cut tutorial for it so you have a general idea of how it works: Click Here

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be difficult, but I have used Power Director 13 in which I can edit my video but it will not let me transfer it back to my camcorder. I need to do this as sometimes my videos may be only 2 minutes or so long and transferring them to a DVD automatically finalizes it and no more can be added. If I can get it back on to my camcorder I can use my DVD Recorder to gradually build up a DVD of a quantity of smaller clips. Obviously the longer holiday videos are not a problem.

Will movie maker allow me to do this?

Regards,

***** *****

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes it should allow you to with the export the camcorder should show as a drive like the C drive. If you are not sure which one disconnect and reconnect the camcorder while watching that area.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again.

Unfortunately I cannot copy it back onto the camcorder as I get an advice that it is not supported on this device, which can only accept image, audio and folder files, whatever they might be. Are they not what a camcorder handles anyway?

Is this a feature of the Canon Legria which I cannot overcome? If so I am at the end of the line now or need to buy another make of camcorder if others do not have this drawback. Shame as the Canon is only a few months old.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you try exporting to the desktop, then moving it via the explorer? To get to windows explorer click on start and then computer, the window that opens is windows explorer (very different than internet explorer).
.