Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Canon IXUS220HS My full Samsung memory card will not display

Customer Question

canon IXUS220HS
My full Samsung memory card will not display photos, either on the camera or elsewhere. I have searched for an answer on the Internet but do not really trust the instructions given.
The screen gives me two messages, Memory card error, and Memory card locked.
The current card works well.
I have checked the card lock on the memory card that is giving me problems, changing that makes no difference .
I look forward to your answer.......Vanessa Ansell
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you say full, you mean it is at 100% use of available memory?
And what happens when you try to view it via the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the card is at 100% of available memory, when I tried to delete some photos nothing happened, just a repeat of the error message.

And on the computer also nothing happened when we tried to view the contents.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do you have a windows computer there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we have Windows 7.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, connect the card in it and tell me which drive letter the card appears as please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard, It is in , but where do I find the drive letter?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click Start, computer
Then on the left you see it near C Drive with a letter next to it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure I am in the correct information place, I am at the listing of the hard disk drives of which I have two, the first reads OS(C:), the other is backup, V

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will have the memory card next to it.
Remove the memory card and tell me if V dissapears please
Then you know if thats it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The V is still in my reply to you, and still there where you respond about the V disappearing, V

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Vanessa, I don't understand what you mean with your last response.
I don't think you understand the instructions I am giving.
You need to put the SD Card IN the computer and check which drive it shows as per the instructions I gave you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is me who is not understanding .....where is the V you are referring to?

The card is back in the computer!!!

My route was: Start...All programs...Computer...Hard disk drives= OS(C:)

this memory card holds all our photos of our adventure in Egypt, including views of the razor wired pirate protected ship in the Red Sea.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is what you said
So you said the backup is V....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.. that was just me signing off to you instead of using my full name....

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, sorry it confused the situation.
So you have inserted the card into the computer but you only see C, the computer does not show anything about the memory card Vanessa?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After Start in the All programs list there is one reading Canon Utilities, in there I find quite a list ...the top one reads Camera Window DC8 Readme next is Camera Window Uninstall then other listings, the last reads CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Task.

Am I in the right place now?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No Vanessa.
The instructions where to click start, computer and then check for which Drive letter the Memory card is appearing.
nothing with All Programs, but Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have looked very carefully, the Memory Card is not listed at all.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if you put another memory card in the computer, is that one listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but the photos on the other two cards we have just tried are in our photo gallery as we down loaded them last week , they are there safe and sound, would down loading them remove the need for the computer to list them when the cards are re-inserted in the slots. That makes me wonder how can we download further photos from these two cards we have tried just now?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So no cards are being detected by the computer? Sorry this was not clear in your answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No cards were being detected and listed by the computer.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, they should be listed no matter what.
Do you have another computer there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

But I have to go to a meeting this afternoon to some-one who has a computer, would it be safe to take the problem card, and the two current cards that we downloaded last week and ask if I could investigate on hers, or perhaps I might be spreading a corruption???

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No you cant spread the corruption.
It looks to be the computer that's causing the issue.
you can administer the card via their computer as this will likely work unless the card is faulty, and you an then copy the photos and delete there.
Then I would advise after this to do a system restore on this computer by clicking start and typing in system restore and press enter.
Then follow the onscreen steps to perform a system restore from the last restore point listed.
The computer should then recognise cards again
I have marked this question to never close, so no rush on this and If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou for your help, I will do as you advise, not at the moment as I have to go now. Hey ho...these things are sent to try us.

I am printing off your efforts so that I can get back to you some-time, either sorted or not we shall see.......

Thanks again Vanessa

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Vanessa,
Like I said, any issues, let me know please.
Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****, Thankyou for your help the other day.

By doing double and even triple checks with other cameras and mine we were able to prove to ourselves that the problem was 'other'. We discovered that the card in question is a Samsung adaptor for a micro SD card. And that the micro SD card is missing from it. We are now searching all nooks and crannies in the house for the tiny card, it must be lurking somewhere, nothing odd or questionable is ever discarded in this establishment!

Sorry to have raised a red herring for you.

At Christmas I ran through the contents of the Samsung adaptor on my camera, so the micro SD card must have been in the adaptor then, I removed the card, stored it in the original plastic bag it arrived in, and put it safely away.

I was not aware that Amazon had supplied on purchase of the camera and parts a Samsung adaptor and micro SD, there was no note of explanation that the card was not whole bodied.

One lives and learns, at least we know when we find it that three years of photos will still be there. Thankyou again Vanessa

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Vanessa for that. Makes a lot of sense :)
If you need anything else, please let me know