Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Have a Canon 580EX Speedlite Flash. Camera with Flash attached

Have a Canon 580EX Speedlite Flash. Camera with Flash attached was knocked off a table and flashgun was damaged. Top part of Flash broke off from base and the fixings sheared off so flash can no longer be fixed securely together again. Can it be repaired with a new base section
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you took it into a store to be repaired, the cost for this is going to be near the cost of a new replacement one, plus you will only get a short warranty.
Your best bet in my experience is to try to locate a non working second hand flash which you can check on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/canon-speedlite-580ex-ii
And if your handy, put your flash unit into this.
Or purchase a replacement. But taking it into a store will not be economically feasible in the long run.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Camera gear is insured but Insurance company would require proof that not repairable for them to replace

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is repairable sorry Alex, as a repair store can organize a replacement casing and then put the flash unit in this. Costly but possible.