Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

After taking a lot of photos on my Canon 550 D a curved side

After taking a lot of photos on my Canon 550 D a curved side curtain appeared on each side of my photos?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Put a different memory card in the camera. Do you get the same problem?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It worked OK in the other camera which had another memory card already in it. Are you saying the memory card was at fault?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
We are not sure yet Chris, which is why we need to put a different memory card in the camera, take a photo and test so we can either confirm or eliminate this as the cause of the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK but this will take about half an hour - is that OK?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just tried swapping everything around and everything seems to be working fine now on both camera bodies.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
so when you put the other memory card in it works fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Seems to work with all the memory cards. Is it possible to send you a shot showing what the photo looked like?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
sorry your confusing me here Chris
you just said
"Just tried swapping everything around and everything seems to be working fine now on both camera bodies."
What was swapped then and what is working fine?
Please remember I cannot see what you are doing so please be more detailed in your responses as to what you are doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have two canon 550d camera bodies. The lens is a canon zoom EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM.

The memory cards are:SanDisk 16GB Extreme

The problem I had on Saturday at a wedding is no longer happening. I am worried though as I do not know why it happened then and if it means there is a problem that could re-occur.

Do you not have an option to send you an example?

Chris

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that Chris.
Yes, follow the below instructions
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

File ID = 651626

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Two causes for this Chris
1) Something was on the side of the lenses interfering with the picture.
2) The imaging chip is failing.
I think you would have seen something obstructing along side the lenses, so it points to the imaging chip. If it was due to an issue with moisture or heat then it may have been a temporary malfunction, else the chip is becoming defective and may occur again after prolonged use.
To check for this, take 100 photos one after another and if it re-occurs you know its due to a over heating issue and the camera needs to be replaced, else it was an environmental cause and it should be ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a very hot day with temperatures in London of about 28 degrees centigrade. Perhaps it was a case of overheating.

I will try your suggestion to check. If it is the imaging chip, where is that - in the camera or the lens?

Also, can the imaging chip be replaced by a service engineer or is the whole camera a write off?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The chip is in the camera and if this is the case it is a write off Chris, best to then get the camera replaced.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.