Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a G9. It will only recognise one particular memory card,

I have a G9. It will only recognise one particular memory card, and rejects all others, including brand new ones. In the menu, the format line is greyed out. Is this fixable?
***** *****
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
How large is the memory card thats being recognised and the others it does not? eg: 4GB?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A couple of 4gb, one 16gb

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, put one of the 4GB memory cards into your computer and format it by right clicking on the card and then selecting to format it (do a full format).
Let this complete then put it in the G9 and tell me if it is then recognised.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did a full format via my computer of a 4gb memory card, as requested. TheG9 still records a "Memory Card Error".

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The card is not locked Peter? On most cards these is a small lock on the side of it and it needs to be slid into the unlocked position.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Card is not locked - was previously used successfully elsewhere. To be sure I tried this card with both positions of the lock. G9 showed "Memory Card Error" in both cases.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Peter
It is the internal reader in the G9 that is faulting. Likely the pins inside a warped or the component that houses the card component, which is why one of them works as its likely able to still touch the pins to get the data. But its a hardware fault on the G9 thats causing this
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I was afraid it would be something like this. The poor old G9 is well past its guarantee (got it new in about 2008). One last question. As the camera relies entirely for its usefulness on just one memory card, do you think that, when the card is full, if I format it, the camera will still work?

Finally, many thanks for your patient help. You would rate the full happy face if you'd got it to work. Still, not your fault, so, excellent service, thank you.

***** *****

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, its doubt it is related to the data on the card, so I am sure it will work after the format.
I know its not always nice to still have it not working after this, but I can only go through all steps to resolve it and then in face confirm if it is faulty which we did.
If you need anything else at all Peter, please let me know
And if you can please do the excellent rating via the stars at the top of the screen or the smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman