RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Fuji AX250. Lens is stuck out fully extended. Camera will power

Customer Question

fuji AX250. Lens is stuck out fully extended. Camera will power up and straight back down again. Screen lights up but only for half a second. Batteries are good. Any ideas? I've done all the turning on/off routines, blowing around the lens, lightly tapping the case etc. Cheers.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Please be aware that resolving this issue can take multiple attempts. With some units that have had this problem it has taken me up to 6 or 7 hours of manipulation, over a few days, to make the lens move freely.My first inclination is to assume that a lens error is the problem itself, but first, there is one more likely possibility, lack of sufficient power. Remove the battery, check the pins or connectors in the battery compartment, and make sure that they are positioned correctly to contact the batteries. Then use a q-tip with alcohol to clean and dry them. It is a known issue that as digital cameras that use only AA size batteries, tend to require a little more power as they age due to deteriorating parts and surface residue. Lens movement uses the most power. That is why the connection is so critical The only suggestion that I have is to try a set of high power lithium AA batteries. They have a higher, more steady, power output. This has solved this issue about 60% of the time, If the above does not solve the issue please continue as it is very likely that the problem is a lens error.Try the steps below first. Put the camera switch in the Off position. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was accidentally turned on while the lens is restricted. Next, apply gentle pressure down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera on. If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, and then retracts again, do the following. Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently take one part of the lens and gently move it round in a circular movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on. Next, try to pull and twist on the largest ring of the lens while turning the camera on. Listen for a "click". If at first the focus seems to be off, turn the camera on and off and take lots of pictures, close ups and distance. Focus should slowly start improving.If the steps above do not work or there appears to not be enough power, depending on how long you have been using the rechargeable batteries, it may be time for a new one since as digital cameras begin to age they become more sensitive to the power level. Since the lens does not make it to the correct sensor point due to it being forced in, as noted above, some physical manipulation is necessary. A lens position error will halt the camera start up process. Lens errors are a common problem. With newer cameras I am usually hesitant to suggest these options since they include some more extreme procedures that may cause further damage if not done correctly, but they may save you an expensive repair bill or having to replace it. The links below give step by step DIY instructions on troubleshooting and attempting to fix this problem. You can disregard references to sand blockages as the cause. An older Canon camera is used to demonstrate these procedures but, the lens structure of these compact cameras is the same so the examples do apply to this unit. These procedures are effective about 60% of the time. Click on or copy the link location and paste them into your browser.http://www.e18error.com/repair.htmlhttp://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.htmlIf the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you and you need conventional repair please see below for repair options. http://www.unitedcamera.com/Fuji-Finepix-Ax250/#ShowSelectionsNote: Considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately $70 really depends on how attached to the camera you are. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A new fuji AX250 can be purchased for as low as $75 and good used ones are available online for under $35 to $55Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.Thank you